NINER WINE ESTATES IS AWARDED THE 2023 GREEN MEDAL AWARD FOR BUSINESS
We are proud to be the recipient of the 2023 California Green Medal Sustainability Leadership Award for Business! Only four wineries are awarded this prestigious medal each year, and we’re honored to be in the company of our Paso Robles neighbors Tablas Creek Vineyard along with Cakebread Cellars and Treasury Americas.
With these awards, the California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance aims to recognize wineries “for their advanced sustainability practices and innovation based on a comprehensive judging process focused on both sustainable viticulture and winemaking.”
This is recognition of the dedication and hard work all of us have put in over the years to measure and monitor our inputs and outputs. We actually have a position dedicated to doing just that! And we’re not stopping here: we’ll continue to challenge ourselves and improve our practices. Thank you for supporting us along that journey.
Below are the different categories that the selection committee looks at along with some of our real-world examples. Sustainability is a moving target for us, and we will continue to improve our practices each year!
- Solar powered
- Electric car charging for staff and guests
- Energy efficient building design (LEED Certified)
- Gravity-flow winemaking, insulated buildings, scalable systems and use of natural light
WATER EFFICIENCY & RECAPTURE
- Industry-leading rainwater recapture infrastructure
- Recycling all of our winery water runoff to use for irrigation
- Reduce use by deficit irrigating, using water efficient equipment and intensively monitoring vineyard irrigation
- We are dedicated to improving soil health by grazing sheep in the Spring, applying organic fertilizer and running soil health trials
- We have a robust on-site compost program that turns leftover grape pomace into high-quality compost and compost teas
- We do not use herbicides, poison baits or synthetic fungicides
- We maintain wildlife corridors, a diverse garden and an on-site apiary
COMMUNITY & EMPLOYEE DEVELOPMENT
- We donate over $200k annually through a linked foundation to organizations that address equality, environmental and education access issues.
- We cook and serve a monthly meal at ECHO Homeless Shelter, support local radio and work closely with Must! Charities and the Juan Nevarez Memorial Scholarship
- We offer comprehensive health insurance, a matching 401(k) program and competitive salaries
- We have an Employee “Giving Program” where staff can choose a charity that we donate $2,000 to in their name
- LEED Certified Tasting Room, Restaurant & Winery (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)
- SIP Certified Vineyards (Sustainability in Practice)
- SIP Certified Winery (Sustainability in Practice)
About the Award: The California Green Medal Sustainable Winegrowing Leadership Awards provide recognition to vineyards and wineries who are leaders in implementing the Three E’s of sustainability: Environment, Economic and Social Equity). The Green Medal awards inspire others in the industry and highlight the benefits of participating in a sustainability program. It’s a great opportunity to showcase the amazing commitment many California growers and vintners have made to protecting the environment and enhancing the communities in which they live and work.